random acts of christmas kindness :: summary

Well … December is over and with it, our Random Acts of Christmas Kindness or RACK.  This year the girls and I made the Christmas season about loving others and in the process, sharing God’s love for others, by performing one RACK each day of Advent.

Here’s an iPhone photo of our mission completed!

As with my handmade Christmas gifts … I didn’t want to make this RACK activity about “blogging” it … I wanted to be truly “present” with each activity and the girls, so instead of bringing my camera and worrying about blogging shots … I’d grab a random iPhone photo when I could.

Some of our activities included in the photos below:

• Taping candy canes to ATM machines around town
  • Bringing the girls riding instructor {and barn manager} hot cocoa and a muffin early one morning
  • Taping quarters to vending and toy machines around town
  • Grocery shopping for the sole purpose of putting it in the “Food for Families” box in the entryway of the store
  • Feeding meters around town {and lots of fun explaining to the girls what “feeding” a meter meant!}
  • Donating 72 stockings with treats, candy and a craft for second graders at a school in need
  • Ringing Salvation Army bells
  • Handing out Starbucks gift cards {$5.00 value each}

Some of our activities without photos:

• Paid past due library fees for 5 people
  • Donated a poinsettia to the girls school
  • Bought and donated toys for “Toys 4 Tots”
  • Brought the girls teachers their favorite Starbucks drinks
  • Brought treats to the employees of our local Post Office branch
  • Purged from the girls personal “library” and donated to a school library in need

Originally, our plan was to hand out flowers at the mall, but the day before this RACK was planned, CJ had his company program and shared with everyone how we were celebrating the Advent season … that they “were about to be RACK’ed” … and had the girls go through and hand out Starbucks cards to everyone.  We had a ton left over, so decided to hand them out at the mall instead of flowers.

I have to tell you … I experienced an incredible surge of emotion and thoughts as we were handing them out.  Either people were so shocked and happy, or people would ignore us, shaking their heads and walking by.  As people were ignoring us … or more significantly, the girls, I made a solemn vow to grab whatever anyone was trying to give me from now on!

The next day, I received this message …

Hi Tracie! Just wanted to share this with you..
Bennett and I were at the mall yesterday
and of course, I was kind-of rushing through
the holiday crowd to pick something up
(wanting to get in and out) and Bennett tugs o
my hand and said, “Mom, did you hear that?
Someone said they have free Starbucks cards.”
Not even turning around, I told him that it
was probably someone wanting you to buy
something, that nothing is ever for free.

Long story short, when I got home and read
your status, I explained to him that he was right
and it was the perfect opportunity to talk about
all the good that people have in them.
So I wanted to thank you for 1. Reminding me
that there is “good” out there, and
2. That I need to slow down and really listen!

I LOVED this note!!  It’s exactly what I experienced from the other side of giving out the cards.  And seriously, what another amazing lesson in how when you do something selflessly to bless others, you end up being blessed yourself!

The girls were watching TV recently and something came on explaining Advent … this particular activity was using candles to countdown Advent.  I took the opportunity to talk about all the different ways people celebrate, and I even reminded them of our activity last year.  When they asked what we’d do next year, I asked what they wanted to do.

Hands down and with excitement they quickly answered, “our kindness activity.”  Yep! just like I always say … it’s far better to give than to receive!

Praying a happy and blessed 2011 for you all!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

UPDATE {11.28.11}
I’ve created a blank RACK’ed activity card … the download can be found in this post.  At the end of the post, you’ll find another link to other downloads.

Thank you … SO much … for the response to this little activity we did last year!  I’m amazed and excited to think how many people will be blessed this year because of it!  If you have a moment, be sure to stop by and let me know how it went for you!  Have fun and be blessed!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This entry was posted in charity, christmas, family photos, girls. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.
  • Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God
    whose ways you may not understand at the time.
    :: Oswald Chambers ::

697 Comments

1. Posted December 31, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! What a blessing you and your family are. I hope one day to be able to this with my son and any future children we have! Have a great New Year!!

2. Heather
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I LOVE THIS! What blessings you girls were to so many this season! And I love that the girls loved doing it too!

3. Posted December 31, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful way to spread Christmas cheer. Love how into it the girls got and think it’s awesome that’s what they want to do next year. Giving is definitely better than receiving and that fact the girls get it at such a young age is amazing.

I wish you and your family nothing but the best in 2011!!! Love ya.

4. Posted December 31, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

more than the RAKs themselves, i love that you pushed through and were faithful to complete it with your girls! what a testimony to your girls.

i also loved the “fear not” cards in the last post. can’t wait to print those out and send them to friends for new years!

5. Posted January 1, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

taking notes for next year! i LOVE this project!

6. Christine J
    Posted January 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I love that you’re teaching your girls a heart of giving – not just through words but through actions. These lessons will stick with them forever.

7. Posted January 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

love.love.love this!!

thanks for following up on how it went.

What if you set up a jar {or maybe just simply a word document} for you and the girls to add ideas to all year long of things you could do for RACK next December? That way when the time comes around you’ll have a whole bunch of meaningful ideas – maybe needs you saw through the year, things people did that touched you that you want to do to others, etc.

You inspired me to reach out to others this season – while it was a busy time with us just getting back from Africa we did take the time to make signs and treats and hand them out to our favorite decorated homes when we went Christmas light looking :)

8. Tiffany
    Posted January 1, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Love this Tra! I think I may have to jump on your band wagon next year and do some RACKing! You are such an amazing person!

9. Shanna Watson
    Posted January 3, 2011 at 8:57 am | Permalink

I’m definitely going to try this next year with my kids…great ideas!

10. Tracie D
    Posted January 3, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

OUTSTANDING!

11. Posted January 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

LOVE LOVE LOVE your creative activies… I’m so inspired by your RACK wrap up. THANKS for making this world a more beautiful and loving place my friend!!!!!!

12. Posted January 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Just found you via KM! I love your cards attached to your kindness and the “You’ve been RACK’ed”…very cool!!

13. Posted January 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

this post has such great ideas — i feel inspired to do this next christmas! your blog is inspirational, lovely, and delightful. i wanna be something like you when i grow up. (i’m 21 and a photographer too) :)

14. Posted January 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Clearly- Rack-ing should be all the rage!

I want to do this!!! Even though it’s not “technically” Christmas anymore!

I’m gonna get brainstorming!!!!!

15. Nancy
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

This has wonderful new ideas for me…the last few years, I have done several things similar in my little town…I buy Christmas ornaments on sale after Christmas each year for the next year…I put them in small brown bags with a little decoration on it and drop them prior to Christmas, at like McDonalds at the drive-thru.. at the supermarket, pharmacy drive=thru….people love it…thanks and I will use the little verse now…..

16. Posted October 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

This is FABULOUS!!!!! You wouldn’t by any chance have a printable of the RAK note you left do you?? I would love to do this with my children!
    thx
    j

17. Sharon Joy
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Adding this to our Advent celebration!!! Wonderful! Thank you for ringing bells! That bell ringing allowed for many more RAK’s!!!

18. Brooke
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

This is wonderful. I want to steal some of these ideas. How the Lord has gifted you with enouragement and bringing joy to others!

19. stuffie
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing… what an amazing story, and how blessed you are to be able to do this! wE USUALLY BUY COFFEE for the people behind us int he line at the coffee shop, but this is far better! I believe this is a good thing we could do with our girlscout troop! :) Thank you for so generously sharing! **cheers**

20. Posted October 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love this idea, and it has come at the perfect time for me. I know that doing good things for others makes a person feel better about themselves so in my little journey this will help me and hopefully 25 others!

21. Posted October 26, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

I love these ideas and I can’t wait to get started!!
    Tammy recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday

22. Betsy
    Posted October 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

This is so amazing. I plan to share it with my daughter and son as well – already looking forward to teaching her the “true” meaning of Christmas. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea!!!

23. Jill
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I love your RACK cards. Do you have the file you can share via email?

24. Tracey Jackson
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I love this idea, and even though I am just now finding it, I hope to do this THIS year. I hope also to share it not only with my family but with my church family as well. My Sunday School class (named Living Out Acts) has a mission to reach out to others as the early church did, and how much more perfect could a project such as this be? LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

25. Joy
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

I loved what you and your girls did its wonderful and you made so many people happy. I will be doing this myself this year, thanks for the idea and the big heart you have. Merry Christmas and God Bless You joy

26. Kelly Allen
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 3:47 am | Permalink

I’ll bet that since you’ve done this your children notice and do things all year long, not just during the holidays. Way to set a great example! Rack On! lol

27. Nichole
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I love this idea. I was looking for something to do with my kids (8 & 5) this year during Christmas. This is exactly the type of kindness activity I want to share with my family! Thank you so much!

28. DeAnna
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I just LOVE this! Found it on pinterest. Do you have the file to share so we could help in spreading the blessing of CHRISTmas?

29. Posted November 5, 2011 at 12:18 am | Permalink

This is such a wonderful idea. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Kristen recently posted..Happiness Report #14 – Birthdays, Blogs & More!

30. Lauren Ralston
    Posted November 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Can you please share the file for the card?? I am definitely doing this with my children this year!

Thanks!!

31. Posted November 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Hello…I am reading this and have chills! I have wanted to do something like this but had no idea how to even get started. Sometimes we need a little help to get us started. I want to try this in my neighborhood this holiday season to help brighten someone’s day. My children are SUCH little helpers, and I KNOW they would love to do this. Thanks so much for your love of Christ and for your desire to help make someone’s day!!! :)

32. Posted November 7, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Found this on Pinterest and I’m sooooo excited to start with my boys. What a great way to pay it forward and show them that kindness is always the best way :)
    MommaKiss recently posted..WTF Weds: Just Say No

33. Posted November 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I LOVE that this is how I’ve stumbled onto your blog (thank you Pinterest!). I’m mentioning this in my blog tomorrow! Thanks so much for your inspiration!
    Ashlie Miller recently posted..Charlotte Mom Favorites

34. Wendi Bass
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing, its a wonderful idea. We’ve always done “ring ‘n run” with some homemade goodies to our friends and neighbors, but I love the idea of doing it for complete strangers!

35. Stephanie
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Hello! I just wanted to say that I love this idea! I found your post on Pinterest and I absolutely plan to do this, can’t wait to start planning what to do each day!

Thank you for posting this!

36. Jules
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I am so excited with this idea. I have been looking for something special to do this Christmas and I think this is it. Thank you for posting this.

37. Robyn
    Posted November 9, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Thank you for the awesome ideas! Back in High School a friend and I decided to buy a bunch of candy canes and go hand them out at the mall. We would simply hand it to someone and say “Merry Christmas”. I was surprised at how many people turned it down, or were just plain rude about it. I think that sometimes we forget that there is another side to service; we must be willing to accept service in our lives. Sometimes we get so worried about serving, yet we refuse to be served. It has to go both ways! Awesome post, I am going to adapt this to my family for this year. My kids are still a little young, but we can do a lot of this. Thanks for the great post!

38. Belinda
    Posted November 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

This such a great lesson your girls are very lucky.

39. Deb
    Posted November 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

You are wonderful. Not only for doing these things, but for teaching your children, at a young age, that is is far better to give than to receive. I love your ideas; some have been done by myself and my family already, but plan on ‘borrowing’ some of the others. Thanks for all you do. :)

P.S. Tell your girls Thank you too!

40. Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

This is SO SO cool!!! I had heard of “24 Days of Giving” where you give something each day to someone anonymously but I like your RACK cards!!! I’m putting my thinking cap on and gonna brainstorm with my guys, ages 14, 11 and 9! Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

41. Tammy
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink

I love this idea! Joy’s Hope blog just finished a week long Happy Project with RAK’s that were fabilous. However, I lOVE doing it for Advent. Thanks for sharing. Have you posted the adorable card anywhere to download?

42. Carla
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

I absolutely love this idea, and can’t wait to start RACKing here in Bucks County, PA!!!!

43. Lindsey
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Can you email what your card said that you handed out to everyone? Lmalmendier@sbcglobal.net

44. DeLane
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Wow! Just saw your post via Pinterest. What an awesome idea. I’ve been thinking about Christmas for this year and I’m wanting to downscale the commercialism and make it more hand made and personal. I LOVE your idea of passing on the true meaning to people unknown to you. I will be following in your footsteps this year and I believe I will be challenging the people in my life to consider doing the same.

45. Carrie
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I can.not wait to do this! I am making enough for my bible study group as well as my kids. This is awesome!! Thank you!

46. Stephanie
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 7:24 am | Permalink

I found you through Passionate Penny Pincher and can’t wait to try this out. I’ve been looking for ways to teach my kids more about the real meaning of Christmas. Thank You so much!!

47. Shari Tackert
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Like Lyndsey above,cCan you email what your card said that you handed out to everyone? Shariltackert@yahoo.com. Thanks!

48. Posted November 14, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

i recently posted the download and a couple of bonus downloads here: http://tsjphotography.com/blog/rack-download-edition/

49. Posted November 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Thank You so much Tracie for this wonderful idea. I can’t wait to do this with my family for advent. Every year I feel we loose so much about what the real meaning of Christmas is about and with this project I know our children gain so much from it.

50. Bradley Booth
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

This is the most amazing idea! I am a seventh grade girls small group leader and plan to do this with my girls throughout the Christmas season. Thank you for such an amazing advent idea!

73 Trackbacks

1. [...]  Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

2. By Random acts of kindness on November 14, 2011 at 11:03 pm

[...] Act of Kindness,” I sometimes think of the quirky Amélie — but I also think of this beautiful blog post that I read several weeks ago that has inspired me to do a little family project this year. You [...]

3. By TSJ Photography Blog Post | LancasterParent.com on November 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm

[...] tsjphotography.com [...]

4. [...] to do in December was a terrific post to inspire different activities.  Then, I stumbled upon Random Acts of Christmas Kindness.  It is perfect for my family this Christmas.  I’ve decided that I want to pair this with [...]

5. By saltwatertiffy on November 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

[...] Random Acts of Christmas Kindness [...]

6. By Give a little this Christmas « animalsensedotorg on November 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm
  7. By 20 creative advent calendar ideas on November 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

[...] Via: tsjphotography.com [...]

8. By blank rack’ed download on November 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm

[...] Advent posts: random acts of christmas kindness :: advent 2010 random acts of christmas kindness :: summary rack :: download edition [...]

9. [...] Christmas cards this year!} posted it to her facebook page.  Original credit for the idea goes to tsj photography for this ultra-cool [...]

10. By You’ve been RACK’d! | Kelli Bramble Photography on December 1, 2011 at 9:56 pm

[...] 38 good deeds, I knew that I had to do something like that. A few days ago came across this blog: tsjphotography.com/blog and was hooked! (if you happen to read this, Tracie, thank you for your example and [...]

11. By You’ve been RAK’ed « 6 teen weeks and counting on December 2, 2011 at 12:08 am

[...]  But I recently was browsing through more blogs for free printables when I came across this blog about my exact idea.  And then I realized it was one of the blogs I had come across the other day. [...]

12. [...] of kindness done by this family! (source) This is also some great inspiration from September! (source) I LOVE these little cards and ideas from Tracie’s blog! (source) Julie’s Happy Day [...]

13. By We’re out RACKing folks! « Fish Out of Water on December 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

[...] out spreading Random Acts of Christmas Kindness for the 25 days of Christmas.   I found the idea here.  I made tags  similar to the ones I found at the website I linked.  I omitted the Bible verse [...]

14. [...]  Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

15. By 50 Things To With Your Kids During The Holiday’s on December 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

[...]  Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

16. [...]  Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

17. [...]  Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

18. [...] Have a Random Acts of Kindness Day(s) [...]

19. By Random Acts of Kindness | Julie's Journal on December 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm

[...] how one blogger teaches her children to be kinder, more compassionate members of society by practicing random acts [...]

20. [...] enjoyed reading about the Random Acts of Christmas Kindness blogger Tracie carried out with her daughters.  From taping quarters to vending machines to [...]

21. By RACK Rundown « Fish Out of Water on December 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

[...] again you run across priceless gems (I’m not talking LOLcats).  I’m speaking of the Random Acts of Christmas Kindness.  When I found this idea on Pinterest I knew it was one of the things I wanted to incorporate into [...]

22. By Feel Good Friday | Mom's Secret Weapon on December 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

[...] we are in December and the countdown for Christmas is on! I was recently reading a blog where she did a Random Act of Kindness each day leading up to Christmas with her kids and [...]

23. [...] of major shops and stores, holiday season has been here for a few months When I saw THIS and THIS idea for Random Acts of Christmas Kindness, I knew this had to be a new Christmas tradition for our [...]

24. By RACK | Things Change on April 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm

[...] Image [...]

25. [...] blog post yesterday about a woman who designed an Advent calendar of giving and good deeds, called Random Acts of Christmas Kindness, with her children. They taped quarters to vending machines, made goodie bags for kids at a school [...]

26. By It’s a Family Tradition | The Frugal Nest on September 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

[...] than of herself.  So we will be doing at least one of these things:  Random Acts of Kindness (you can find examples here), adopting a family from the Angel Tree at Salvation Army, or something along those lines.  Last [...]

27. [...] Christmas Random Acts of Kindness [...]

28. By The Kindness Chronicles | Lyric Art on November 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm

[...] ahead of time (I know I’m going to try this out) today I want to spotlight Tracie over at tsj photography. She is an amazing person and has a fabulous idea for the holiday season. How about putting [...]

29. By Random Acts of Kindness | subtlyfabulous.com on November 9, 2012 at 12:05 am

[...] Mingle Glow | TSJ Photography /* Posted in November [...]

30. [...] it isn’t the most decorative or colorful.  But click through and read the story behind this Random Acts of Kindness from TSJ Photography and you’ll understand.  True meaning of Christmas?  Oh, [...]

31. [...] over to TSJ Photography to see all the amazing ideas that her family showed their random acts of kindness to [...]

32. By Giving Thanks… « Six Eighteen Design on November 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm

[...] have to give credit to this blog: http://tsjphotography.com/blog/random-acts-of-christmas-kindness-summary/ for providing me with the idea and inspiration behind this Christmas season mission.  I will be [...]

33. [...] However, thanks to both of these addictions, I also came across a wonderful blog post… TSJ Photography – Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. [...]

34. [...] 3. Random Acts of Kindness Calendar (Image via TSJ Photography) [...]

35. [...] happened to fall upon this post and instantly, my insides stirred: a count-down to Jesus’ birthday that would forced us to [...]

36. By Holiday Pinspiration » Gina Cristine Photography on November 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm

[...] tsjphotography.com via Gina on [...]

37. By Charity Begins at Home . . . or Walmart | Cwazy Town on December 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm

[...] day when I was cruising Pinterest, posting items that I will never do, I came across the blog about a mother who created an Advent calendar with kindness projects for her 4 daughters – [...]

38. [...] random acts of kindness with your child every day leading up to Christmas, this mom has some great ideas here on things you can do complete with lists of acts and printables to go along with [...]

39. [...] Here are some great ideas at TSJ Photography [...]

40. [...] her blog, Tracie Stier-Johnson offers great ideas as well as free cards to download and get you on your way to spreading holiday cheer. If you are looking for more inspiration, read about how one woman spent her birthday surprising [...]

41. By Simple Ways to Count Down the Days on December 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

[...] Random Acts of Christmas Kindness This mom focuses on serving others with Random Acts of Christmas Kindness  (RACK). “I made the Christmas season about loving others and in the process, sharing God’s love for others, by performing one RACK each day of Advent.” She shares some great ideas here. Read TSJ Photography Blog [...]

42. By You are braver... - A String of Pearls on December 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

[...] feed the cat etc.  When we forget ourselves and do something for another person WE feel better. check out these creative RAKS for ideas. (You can always come here and talk to me, leave a comment, I will see it. I may not be publishing [...]

43. By Random Acts of Kindness » Silver Image Photography on December 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm

[...] Please read the story on her blog:  http://tsjphotography.com/blog/random-acts-of-christmas-kindness-summary/ [...]

44. By You’ve Been RACKED « Creative Lady of the House on December 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

[...] have been inspired by Tracie at tsj photography and decided to make up some cards of my own to hand [...]

45. By Christmas Traditions | domesticity … on December 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm

[...] to mix it up and make a Nativity instead using this idea!~Random Acts of Christmas Kindness: I saw this idea and we are hoping to make this a new tradition.  While we won’t be doing something every [...]

46. [...] to “Pay It Foward” this holiday season, I highly recommend checking out the blog post Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. This is one of my favorite things I’ve ever found on Pinterest. The post contains many [...]

47. [...] ways to “Pay It Foward” this holiday season, I highly recommend checking out the blog post Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. This is one of my favorite things I’ve ever found on Pinterest. The post contains many fantastic [...]

48. By the most happiest time of the year « the williams on December 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm

[...] trying (“trying”) to do random acts of Christmas kindness (RACK). i got the idea from here and thought, “oh, this is great!” but, it’s very hard to actually make myself do [...]

49. [...] TSJ Photography [...]